How do I become a member of the Division of Health Psychology?
If you are a member of the British Psychological Society you are eligible to become a Member of the Division of Health Psychology.
There are three grades of membership:
- This grade of Divisional membership is for candidates who are qualified in Health Psychology and eligible for Chartered Status on the basis of their training.
- In Training - This grade of Divisional membership is for candidates who are enrolled on a Society accredited postgraduate training course or are undergoing a period of supervised practice which will count towards Full Membership of the Division.
- General - This grade of Divisional membership is for any member of the Society who is not eligible for Full or In Training membership of the Division.
This includes undergraduate student members, members of other divisions, graduate members of the BPS not in training or affiliate members of the British Psychological Society.
Applications for Divisional Membership are processed by the BPS. The links above will take you to the appropriate forms.
If you are not sure which type of membership you are eligible to apply for then click here for further information.
Alternatively you can write to:
The British Psychological Society
St Andrews House
Or telephone: 0116 254 9568
Criteria for Full membership of the DHP and Registration as a Chartered Health PsychologistFull Membership of the DHP
Candidates with the Graduate Basis for Registration will be required to undertake either a postgraduate qualification in health psychology accredited by the Society or the Society’s Stage 1 Qualification in Health Psychology. Upon successful completion of the training course or the Stage 1 Qualification, candidates will be required to undertake the Society’s Stage 2 Qualification in Health Psychology or a course accredited by the Society as providing exemption from this qualification.
NB Grandparenting routes closed on 1st September 2007.
If you have any queries regarding membership of the Society or the DHP, please email email@example.com or telephone the Society's Admissions Team on 0116 252 9525.
If you want to apply for Chartered Status with the BPS as well as Full Membership of the DHP you can apply for both together on the same form. Click here to download the application forms.
To become Chartered with the British Psychological Society as a Health Psychologist it is necessary to:
Be eligible for full membership of the BPS Division of Health Psychology (see above ), AND
Fulfil the BPS requirements for Chartered Status. This requires you to be a member of the Society and:
- Have Graduate Basis for Registration (GBR); and
- Have successfully completed a Society accredited postgraduate professional training course together with such additional period of directly supervised practice as may be required and have thereby achieved eligibility for full membership of one of the Society's Professional Divisions.
- Have been judged fit to practise Psychology without supervision.
Click here to go to the BPS pages with more information on Grades of Membership and Chartered Status.